To accomplish the NeXT vision they had to push the state of the art in many directions:
- a new Operating System with simpler Administration tools
- an entirely new Graphical User Interface (GUI),
- new software development tools and methodologies (Object Oriented Programming, Interface Builder, etc.)
- new computer hardware designs (NeXT Cube, NeXT Dimension, NeXTStations)
- new manufacturing processes.
The following is is an excerpt from their video "The Machine to Build Machines". If you have never seen a Printed Circuit Board (PCB) production line, you will learn a great deal of how it is done today from this 23 year old excerpt:
To accomplish this, they aggressively pursued Surface Mount Technology, a process which would allow them to build an entire system into one printed circuit board.
This set into motion a plan to build the most sophisticated manufacturing system ever employed for Surface Mount Technology.
The system was fully automated to fulfill NeXT's goals:
- High quality
- High consistency
- High yield
- Low cost"